I suggest you ...

Don't allow owner to delete member comments

Don't allow auction owner to delete member comments in his auctions. It should at least apply to certain auctions like domain sellings where experienced members are warning about fake domain PR's of fradulant sellers. Even if you allow them to delete the comment, at least people should see owner deleted XX comments in that auction.

1,168 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminKevin Yank (Admin, SitePoint Marketplace) responded  · 

We’ve been discussing this at length here. Right now, comments as an anti-fraud measure always lead us to a no-win situation. If we take the side of the commenters, we see abuse of the commenting system. If we take the side of the sellers, we see abuse of the comment deletion system.

Our approach in the short term will be to enhance the Marketplace with additional anti-fraud features that enable buyers to better gauge the legitimacy of listings (e.g. domain name ownership validation, site traffic verification, etc.).

As we do this, we will continually re-evaluate our policies on comment moderation. If it becomes practical and sensible to remove the ‘delete comment’ feature for sellers, we will.

Keep those votes and comments coming so we know your opinions on the subject!

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • supermike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't use auctions at this time. As a paying customer to the marketplace ads, I certainly hope this feature is not implemented on the ads I put into the system. I've had punks come in to criticize me because they are my competitors. I've had to deal with them appropriately, or take some of the criticism and fix something, and then come back and delete the comment. I strive to be as professional as possible, but if I'm paying for an ad, I darn well don't want comments to be public, but private.

• beyond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a seller who pays for the auction listing and I don't pay for unscrupulous comments to be made on my auctions. If whoever thinks the site being sold is a scam then you can do the following
        1) report to sitepoint
        2) move on because it's none of your business anyway.

Think of yourself in front of an offline store, telling all the customers or prospects who walk in about how scammy the owner is, the product sucks and bla bla bla. You think you can get away without the owner come by knocking you on the head?

Too many so called buyers who comment like there's no tomorrow often end up being the one who couldn't afford to buy the site himself, let alone even paying for the listing fees.

If you have an issue with the site or the owner, then PM the owners. Don't fill yourself with ego trying to tell the whole world of your whatever allegations you are trying to make. Again, it's none of your business

Also, too many prospects would come in and comment, "oh your price is way too high", "you should price your site 10x etc", "your site doesn't worth XXx". C'mon, if you think that way, then probably you are too poor to make any purchase. If you think the price of the site doesn't live up to the price, then try build them youself. Respect the owners of the site and you will deserve one as well. Owners of the site have every right on how to sell and price their site. If you like to site, then buy it, if you don't, then move on.

• Suzanne Bucciarelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sitepoint is full of useless little auction spoilers who just go around writing negative comments on auctions with completely unfounded comments. I pay good money to use Sitepoint to sell my sites and my 100% feedback is proof enough that my buyers are happy with what they are getting. These are auctions ... not blogs. If a buyer wants to contact me, pm me ... but that isn't what an auction spoiler wants to do ... they want to spoil an auction.

• noonanco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is that some sellers are legitimately trying to hide something, and if an experienced user calls them out on it, it might save a newbie from being scammed. However, a prospective bidder could potentially create another account and put false claims on the sellers auction. Maybe only allow sellers to "report" comments for moderators to look at?

• nufoundglory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about if sellers need to state "reasons for comments deleted" to every comment he deleted? If all the warning comments keep on coming and he keeps on deleting them for the same reason, wise potential buyers would be able to see that there's something wrong. Plus, showing how many comments have been deleted is also a very good idea!!

• neon_eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think most intelligent people see right through and ignore comments like "why is your traffic so low, etc.". And, I do not believe fraud controls will keep the real benefit of non-deleted post from happening. The real benefit is the shared information such as the site is being sold more than once under different domains, or that HOT site that you are selling can be purchased off the shelf here.

• Domainerator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not usually mad/rude ones that are the problem ... I find misleading comments to be a big issue. Example: someone asks "why is your traffic so low." Well, the traffic is stated on the auction so that question adds no new information ... it just biases other potential bidders who can see how much traffic there is for themselves but might wonder why someone else thinks it is low.

• sdstudio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think if a user has mad a rude comment , there should be a feature that you can click on the user name and report that user to a moderation or admin that is online and they can handle it. you would find that when another user is allow to delete any comments... there are more problems. JMHO

• Domainerator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Competitors leave sabotage comments - it's as simple as that. The SitePoint marketplace is like any user forum on the internet: lots of hecklers, spammers and idiots. Why not give moderation powers to the person who made the auction and paid for it? No change is needed here.

• enclass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow to delete the comments, but the delete function should automatically leave a trail mark (including whose comments were deleted) i.e "Owner deleted member XXX's comment on 6/14/08 @ 9.05 AM"
        If owner is deleting comments from 10 comments from 10 members shows negative for seller, however if he deletes 10 comments from 1 or 2 doesn't (maybe they were just tring to spoil the auction)

• Logician commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But in DP buyer is on their own without any site protection and all you do is to list the auction and tell we are not responible for buyer/seller actions. So it is much more important to have these comments so that at least community will provide some sort of buyer protection. 10USD of listing income for DP shouldn't worth giving impression that people are screwed here by scammers.

• Logician commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't agree with site developer's comment. It is possible to delete comment in ebay site but unlike DP, ebay is working very hard in the background to maintain buyer satisfaction. There are ebay/paypal guarentees to keep buyer secure and ebay is also doing many security tests on your behalf to check sellers. It is validating seller identities, keeping track of scams and bans scammers etc.

• babyboy808 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree with this feature. I tried to comment on an auction that a person claimed their directory was a PR5, their BIN was $200, so there is a warning already. I tested his site with 3 different services, the cache and info command ...and found him trying to scam this site on digitalpoint too. Site sold to a noob and they got screwed. We need this feature!!

• neon_eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seeing deleted comments was absolutely the most insightful feature on SitePoint. Comments from other users about why the listing was previously for sale, or isn't this the 3rd time you sold that same template, etc.

Most buyers are easily able to see when someone is jealous or is just being abusive. Not sure why this feature was taken away in the 1st place, unless people have something to hide.

• site.developer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there are instances when someone jealous of you or your competitor wants to bash your thread or your prospective buyers,he will put something wrong against seller in his thread which will quash away his buyer creating him site listing loss as well as repo loss.
        I am strictly in favor of option to delete comments.its sellers site and he has to decide what comments he wants to appear on it like ebay

Feedback and Knowledge Base