I suggest you ...

Let sellers require bidders to make a deposit before bidding

since multiple account making is not new on SP or on any other popular webmaster forum, its just useless giving -ve feedback to anyone as he is free to make a new id anytime he wants and as regarding calling and verifying through telephone number, i feel this will also not work out. for example say i am in UK and some buyer is from say Australia and he is verified by phone by SP mods or admin or whatever. he bids on my auction and doesn’t pay. what do i have to do with his cell number? do i make repeated ISD calls to him and ask him to pay?
i suggest SP should make initiatives like only those bidders can bid who deposit say like 20% of their bids to SP account which SP will pay to seller in case that particular bidder wins the auction and pays the rest to seller and in case any other bidder wins, he is liable to get back his money from SP. this is the only way to weed out fake bidders or it can be like CC verification wherein SP people should charge his CC in case he don’t pays the seller.
if some workable measures like these can be workout, SP would be the best place to work with. SP charges sellers for putting up their auctions but with no surety of being paid by bidders. Like in e-bay, if a bidder doesn’t pays, e-bay don’t charge its fees for that particular auction as seller is at no fault on that occasion.
I also ask other fellow sellers to put their valuable suggestions to counter this increasing problem.

87 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    site.developersite.developer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • noonanconoonanco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also be done if SP integrated an escrow service. You could load up a bunch of money into your SP account, and anytime you bid on an auction, SP could "freeze" the money that is in your account until you are outbid or win the auction. OR - If you place a bid, sitepoint can show the seller if you have enough funds in your sitepoint account or not...

I think this is a great idea!

• noonanconoonanco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also be done if SP integrated an escrow service. You could load up a bunch of money into your SP account, and anytime you bid on an auction, SP could "freeze" the money that is in your account until you are outbid or win the auction. OR - If you place a bid, sitepoint can show the seller if you have enough funds in your sitepoint account or not...

I think this is a great idea!

• DomaineratorDomainerator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great idea. With the new SitePoint requirement that sellers sell to the highest bidder I have seen so many auctions have to be relisted because the seller couldn't make sure the bidder was serious - they simply had to accept the top bid. With a downpayment there wouldn't be the same high level of deadbeat bidders that plagues the auctionplace.

Feedback and Knowledge Base